Tuesday 1 July 2008

portrait gallery

I've made a list of things that I want to do in Edinburgh so I don't leave and then realise I forgot to do something. And I love a list-there's something so satisfying about crossing things off (but then I am a capricorn).
Today we went to the portrait gallery (tick). There were lots of portraits of the Jameses (it's hard to keep track of them all) and Mary, Queen of Scots, of course and other historical figures. The more modern portraits were to be honest, more interesting. I liked the collage of Stephen Hendry (a very, very good snooker player) and also found a painting called 'the oncologists' by Ken Currie, very striking (and unsettling).A big attraction of the portrait gallery is the building itself which has a very interesting hall with murals and one of the smallest lifts I have ever been in.Tomorrow we may go to the Modern Art Gallery which apparently has lots of gardens for Jack to run in. Something for eveyone.

No comments: