Friday 17 July 2015

Storm boy





 These school holidays have certainly been chock full of things to do. Jack did some art classes at the Fremantle Arts Centre as well as taking in a show or two. We saw Tim Winton's Blueback at the Spare Parts Puppet Theatre in Fremantle. Blueback is the story of a boy and a grouper growing up together but of course is about so much more. Life, death and the environment. My favourite bit is the Q & A session at the end where kids get to ask the puppeteers questions. 

On Saturday night we went to see the play version of Colin Thiele's Storm Boy  in the city. Jack was off colour on the day and I was concerned we would have to cancel, but he rallied and we were able to go. 
It's such a beautiful story and I still remember seeing the film with my grandparents (and sobbing about the plight of Mr Perceval the pelican that Storm Boy raises). I'd forgotten about the other pelicans in the story and was surprised at how funny the story was. 
The production used puppets for the pelicans and was unbelievably good. I didn't sob but I did get teary. How could you not?
And then the next day we saw this fellow by the river. Mr P. 


No comments: